What should I expect from therapy?
Before your first therapy appointment you might be feeling anxious about meeting the therapist or about the therapy in general. Thinking about the practical arrangements for your visit is important, as you do not want to increase any anxiety you might be experiencing by being late or getting lost. Before your appointment, use this checklist to ensure you attend your appointment on time:
- Where is my therapy session taking place?
- How am I going to get there?
- Can I park somewhere nearby or at the therapy location?
- What time is my appointment?
- How long will it take me to get there? Plan to arrive 10 minutes early.
- Who is my appointment with?
- Have I been asked to bring anything with me?
If you find that you cannot attend the place or time of your first therapy session, (for example you might have childcare responsibilities that mean you can’t attend a 9am appointment), call the therapist or secretary (a number will be on your appointment letter), or ask a friend or family to call for you, and let them know. Ask for a time or location that better suits you. This may or may not be accommodated, but it is worth letting them know of any preferences you have.